Crowns are used to improve the strength or appearance of the tooth. They are tooth-shaped covers secured over a tooth using cement. To ensure a good fit, a dental impression is taken to fabricate the crown.
Most crowns are made from either a combination of porcelain and metal alloy or from porcelain or gold:
- Porcelain crowns are natural looking and more aesthetically appealing.
- Gold is most often used on back teeth because it is easier to use than porcelain and requires less tooth to be drilled away.
Crowns protect broken, worn down teeth. They are also used to cover a dental bridge, dental implants, or a tooth with a large filling.
Bridges replace missing teeth by attaching permanently to dental implants or neighboring teeth. Bridges are used as an alternative to dentures or dental implants. Because a missing tooth can shift and potentially lead to gum disease, bridges are important for optimum dental health. Bridges are most often made with gold or porcelain.
Benefits of Dental Bridges:
- Prevents moving and erosion
- Maintain the shape of the face
- Last a long time
- Restore ability to chew properly
- Restore smile
- Aesthetically appealing